Yesterday I posted about three ways to stay warm in formal-wear for holiday parties. I think there is nothing worse than getting all dressed up for a party and then being cold the entire night. It can be such a huge challenge to be stylish and warm at the same time, but I’ve picked up some tricks over the years. Today I’m posting three more tips! Included are example pictures and some shopping options for you.
Opt for pants or jumpsuits instead of dresses
When we think of fancy holiday parties, we usually think of cocktail dresses. But for the holidays, pants and jumpsuits can be just as formal, and they’re warmer! Paired with some understated accessories and a red lip (a la Emma Watson), a pants or jumpsuit outfit can really make a statement. For extra warmth, tights or spanx can be worn underneath.
- THIS is my favorite jumpsuit, but only has one size left. Other favorites for pants and jumpsuits include THESE classic black pants that will be good for work and play, THESE amazing sheer pants, THIS mixed media jumpsuit, and THIS jumpsuit with long sleeves. More below!
Shoes: wear boots or close-toed pumps
Strappy stilettos might look fantastic with your outfit, and I don’t want to discourage you from wearing them! But if you’re always cold like me, you may want to look for warmer options. This year, over-the-knee boots are super popular (and luckily, super warm!). My favorite thing about over-the-knee boots is that they look equally great with short skirts and midi skirts. They can also be worn with tights for an extra layer of warmth. If boots don’t work with your outfit, close-toes pumps are a slightly warmer option as well. I just like to avoid anything too open or strappy during the cold winter months!
- I own THESE over-the-knee boots and I love how versatile they are. Heeled boots are easier to dress up. (THESE are the same as mine but with a heel.) For more formal events, I think THIS pair is perfect because of the pointed toe. THESE come in 4 colors and I like the detailing at the top, and THIS pair of stilettos looks amazing and has great reviews.
Secret tips & tricks
Lastly, I have some tips and tricks that aren’t related to what you’re wearing! They might seem a little silly, but they seriously work.
- First, I wear foot warmers or toe warmers everywhere in the winter. I buy THESE in bulk from amazon every year. But you can also pick up just a pair or two at a time. I often see them sold individually at home improvement stores. I sometimes add hand warmers too if I have pockets.
- Related to those, my sister swears by THESE heat wraps. She’s a lawyer and wears these a lot in the courtroom where she can’t control the temperature. They are meant for cramp relief, but they can be worn anytime and are super thin and discreet.
- Finally, pay attention to what you’re drinking. A lot of holiday parties will have cold drinks, but if you can find any hot beverages, go for those. It sounds like a small change, but they really will warm you up from the inside out!
If you have a fancy holiday party coming up, I really hope these ideas have helped! Do you have any tips and tricks of your own for staying warm during the winter? I’d love to hear them in the comments!